Lawrence House, Goodwyn Avenue
Mill Hill, London NW7 3RH
020 8906 4411


What is ground rent?

Ground rent is a regular payment made by the owner/lessee of a leasehold property to the Freeholder, as required under the terms of a lease. The ground rent is created when a freehold piece of land or a building is sold on a long lease.

The lease will specify when the ground rent increases and by how much. In a typical 99 year lease the ground rent might be set at £200.00 per annum for the first 20 years and then increase to £400.00 per annum for the next 20 years and so on until the lease expires.

If you do not pay the ground rent when it has been legally demanded, the Landlord can take you to court to recover the debt.

Why haven’t I received a ground rent notice?

We may not have your correct contact details. Please contact us providing your up to date details.

Why haven’t I received a receipt for my payment when I asked for one?

Receipts are only provided if payment is made by cheque or postal order and is accompanied by a stamped addressed envelope.

The amount of rent, due date, frequency or balance on your rent notice is incorrect.

If you think we have the wrong information, please contact us in writing to advise us of the details you believe to be incorrect.

I have lost my rent demand – can I have another one?

Please contact our offices and we will be happy to provide you with a duplicate

I sent you a cheque, why have I now received another rent demand?

Please check your bank statement and if your cheque was cashed prior to receiving another demand then please contact us immediately. In order for us to process your payment speedily, please ensure that you endorse on the back of the cheque the address of your property and property reference number.

How can I pay my ground rent?

We accept payment by cheque, BACs or postal order.

Can I pay by standing order or direct debit?

Unfortunately we do not offer direct debit, however you may set up an annual standing order directly with your bank ensuring that you quote the property reference number so we may allocate the payment correctly to your account.

Why should I pay you ground rent when I do not get anything for it?

Ground rent is payable in accordance with the terms of the lease. Your solicitor should have advised you of this obligation when you purchased your property. It is a contractual arrangement rather than a payment for services.

I own the property you refer to in your correspondence. Why have you written to an incorrect addressee or The Leaseholder?

Unfortunately we are not always advised on a timely basis of changes in ownership. Please contact us and we will inform you of what steps are necessary to rectify the matter. If you recently purchased the property you may wish to confirm with your solicitor that we were notified.

I no longer own the property you refer to in your correspondence.

Please contact us and we will update our records.

I live at the property but I am not the owner, I rent it.

We would require a corresponding address for the owner and would appreciate it if you could pass our correspondence to the owner or letting agent.

What period is my rent for?

The period covered should be highlighted on your rent notice. Please consult your lease for further information.

I am going through financial difficulties. Can I spread the payment over a period of time?

Please contact us.

I have overpaid my ground rent, can I have a refund?

Certainly. Please contact us with your request.

I didn’t receive a rent notice but have just received a rent reminder.

We send rent notices to all lessees in accordance with current legislation. If it has not reached you please contact us and we will be happy to send you a duplicate.

I have just moved to the property referred to in your correspondence and there are rent arrears outstanding from before I moved in. Can you bill the previous owner?

Ground rent relates to a property rather than an individual. You will be liable for any ground rent dating back to a maximum of 6 years in accordance with the Limitation Act 1980. Your solicitor should have advised you of any outstanding ground rent at the time of your purchase.